Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ten Years to Remember

My how time has passed. Chip and I celebrated our 10th anniversary on August 2, and we thought it'd be fun to take a little trip. And why not take the kids with us, right?

Some of our favorite trips (early in our marriage) were the ones where we packed the car and headed in a particular direction, not knowing where we'd wind up. Those carefree traveling days are a little trickier with three children in tow, but we proved it can still be done.

As of that Saturday morning, we weren't sure if we would go to the Adirondacks or the Poconos. En route, we chose the Poconos.

The kids settled quickly in their seats, content with their movie selection, Chip snoozed, and I smiled at the ease in which our trip was progressing.

My premature celebration came to an end, however, about three hours into our six-hour voyage.

So we stopped in Auburn, NY.

Turns out there are quite a few things to do in Auburn. We found a hotel that had just opened - quite literally - and we were excited to be the first to christen our room.

And boy did we christen it.

Sunday morning we got up, and I ran downstairs to grab some breakfast and bring it back up. The kids were quick to spill the chocolate milk on the white duvet. When we left the room to go explore the town, Chip covered the stain with a towel.

Of course the cleaning crew was quick to see the ginormous dairy spot, and they treated us to a new duvet while we were out.

The kids were wonderful that day. They were very well behaved at the Chinese buffet. They were even pleasant on our short hike to see a waterfall. And we all had a blast at the Sciencenter.

Back at the hotel we discovered we had picked up a nail in our rear tire. We couldn't do anything about it that evening, so we focused on making the most of the rest of our time together.

The kids went swimming, and then famished, we returned to the room to order room service. After Chip hung up the phone, William started playing in the closet. Tired of the noise he was making, I told him to go sit on the bed.

He took one step and fell flat on his face. I picked him up and blood started gushing from his forehead. All I could think was, "We've got to get him to the hospital, but we have a flat tire!"

The ever-cool-under-pressure husband I was blessed with calmly announced he would go get our first aid kit from the car. I told him to leave the door ajar so that if room service came, they could come on in; I was a bit busy applying pressure to William's head.

While I waited for Chip - and while trying not to FREAK out - I couldn't help but snicker a little bit as I surveyed the room: the white duvet we were so worried about earlier in the day was now covered in blood, there were blood-stained towels on the floor near me, and I, of course, had blood on me, too.

Of course the food came while I was tending to William. I was afraid the poor girl would drop the food once she came in. Luckily she was concentrating too hard on not dropping the heavy tray to notice what she was walking in on.

Chip returned and was able to use the adhesive end of a Band-Aid to tape William's head together. I'll spare any extra details, but it's worth noting that when we made it back to Buffalo, his head needed more attention. Oh, and he wound up re-injuring it two days later. 

I've said it before: I don't know how little boys ever make it to manhood. Mercy.

As for the tire, we were able to get it replaced the next day.

Here are a few pictures we snapped along the way:





No comments: