Friday, March 1, 2013

Lurking in the Shadows

Each Wednesday night we have AWANA, and I am very excited that William is now old enough to go, too!

[I discovered this quite by accident. Three weeks ago the parents were invited to stay and watch the night's program, and because Chip was working, I had William and Maddie with me. William wanted to sit with Abby on the front row, and when the music started, William ran up on the stage and started dancing and doing the hand movements that go along with the songs. It was hysterical. By the end of the night, the leaders said William would be welcome to come back. He's gone for two weeks now, and he is loving it.]

On to the point of this story...

The church where AWANA is held only has about 15 parking spots. As you can imagine, they fill up quickly, leaving others to find parking on the street. This past Wednesday I found myself in that predicament, and I found a spot on a side street. Unfortunately this street isn't well lit. OK, that's being nice. It's a dark street.

I ran to the church, found the kids, and walked them out, hand-in-hand.

As we approached the car, I told the kids, "Hurry up and get in. Someone could grab us out here."

"Ah! That sounds like a nightmare," Abby squealed.

I hurried them in and shut the door. As I rounded the back of the car and headed toward my door, a figure appeared and said, "Hello!"

I kid you not. I jumped about a foot backward and put my hand on my chest. Thankfully, the woman was someone I had met before. She apologized profusely and said that she said 'hello' with the hopes she wouldn't startle me.

Yeah. That didn't work too well.

No comments: