Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Date

Chip is getting very creative with our dates.  I love it - he plans the whole thing.  Last Friday was no different.  He told me very little, other than he had a good "surprise" for me.

We had a nice dinner downtown at an Asian-inspired restaurant.  Chip kept glancing at his watch because he knew we had to be at our next venue by a certain time.  I had no idea where he was taking me next.  I was just pleasantly surprised that he spent so much time orchestrating our date. 

After we paid for dinner, we left and went directly across the street to a theater!  (Not a movie theater, but a performance theater.)  This was so unlike my husband!  I was so impressed that he took the time to research theaters and to find out what time the show started. 

Once inside the theater doors we entered the ticket line.  I kept hearing the effeminate man behind the desk ask each guest, "Did you make a reservation?"  I mentioned to Chip that we probably had to have reservations.  He didn't say anything. 

It was our turn.  The man looked at us, and Chip said, "Two for Hartin."  I about fell out on the floor.  Chip had called ahead to make reservations for us!  (You must realize this is WAY out of the ordinary.)

While Chip paid for the tickets I grabbed a flyer on the table.  I assumed it was a handout for the night's show.  The show title was "The Pride."  In the background was a bright rainbow.  Okay, I don't normally jump to conclusions, but com'on...what would you think if you saw "pride" and a rainbow on the same handout?

I tried to stifle my new found knowledge (and my laughter) until we sat down.  We went right on up to the third row.  Boy, we had some great seats.  After we sat down I said, "Honey, this is awesome!  I'm so impressed that you planned all this for us."  And then I threw in, "Do you know what the name of tonight's show is?  Check this out," and I handed him the handout.  It was as if a light bulb went off in his head and he realized the enormity of his oversight. 

He just started laughing.  I wasn't sure if he was going to get up and run out or what.  About that time we just happened to look around and see that we were one of about two or three heterogeneous couples. 

Chip just kept shaking his head; he couldn't understand how he could have looked and looked at the theater's website and not have picked up on its theme.  He pulled out his Blackberry and pulled up the website; sure enough, there in its blazing glory was a big ol' rainbow. 

We just chuckled.  We figured this would certainly be a date to remember.  Then the show started.  We kept waiting for the "Pride" cast to come out.  It turns out that the evening's entertainment was actually a cabaret duo.  The male singer sang many Judy Garland songs, because, as he explained, she has been his idol since he was a teen. 

The show lasted an hour.  The audience called for an encore.  We snuck out through the curtains. 

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hehe!

BooMama said...

I think I'm going to run out of tears laughing!