Yesterday at the park I saw a guy in Texas Children's Hospital scrubs, so I asked him what department he was with.
"Orthopedic oncology."
"Oh, wow," I replied. "My husband is a surgery fellow there."
"That means he's really busy these days."
"Incredibly."
That was the end of the conversation. A moment or two later Abigail came up to me and said, "You said 'my husband.' Why don't you ever say, 'My kids' dad'?"
I had a nice laugh.
**************************************************************************
I read a really good book a few weeks ago called The Shack. (Thanks, Pastor Paul!) I laughed. I cried. But most of all, I felt closer to God. Add it to your reading list!
**************************************************************************
Abby likes to dance, and nearly every time we are at the park, she asks me to dance with her. Although I usually don't like to call attention to myself, I always accept her invitation. My mind inevitably goes back to that scene in the movie Courageous. For those who haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil it for you, but there is a scene where a little girl asks her daddy to dance while they are waiting at the bank (they are outside the bank near a patch of grass). Her dad said no, basically because he didn't want to look silly. A few scenes later the dad gets a call saying the little girl has been killed in a car accident. Later in the movie the dad goes back to the bank, parks next to the patch of grass, and gets out and dances by himself, with his daughter's favorite song playing in the background. What a tearjerker! It certainly made me realize every moment is precious; we must seize them.
No comments:
Post a Comment