Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Weary Mom's Axiom

Despite my best intentions, I seem to always be running out the door at the last minute.

"Abby, grab your shoes! William, buckle up! Is Maddie back there?"

I learned long ago to prepare for the next morning the night before. So, like a good little mama, I pack bags, declutter the car and plan for breakfasts after the kids are in bed.

So why do I find myself in such a frenzied rush time and time again?

Sundays are the worst.

They all start the same. We wake up leisurely, eat breakfast, dress, and then somewhere between snuggling on the couch and pouring a third glass of milk, I glance at the clock and realize I've got 20 minutes to get myself showered and dressed.

With one high heel on and one in hand, I hobble down the stairs while simultaneously grabbing things on my way out the door and going over my mental checklist:

Bible bag? Check.
Diaper bag? Check.
Pacifier? Check.
Coat? Check.
Diapers in the diaper bag? Check.
Snacks for Maddie? Check.
Did I brush my hair? I think so.

Sunday, February 3, was no different. Chip loaded the kids in the car, and I finally stumbled into the garage with four bags on my shoulder, two jackets and a Coke. It was when Chip asked where William's shoes were that I had a weary-mom moment:

"I can't remember everything because
I have to remember everything!"

I shouted it at no one in particular and yet to everyone.

After finding William's shoes, I buckled myself into the car, and Chip just looked at me and laughed.

"Maybe I should try that," he joked. "'Ma'am, I forgot to take the sponges out of your kid because I have to remember to do everything.' I'm sure that would go over really well."

I laughed and said, "Well, at least you work with other people. Don't you have a system of checks and balances?"

My mid-morning revelation made total sense to me: I can't remember everything, and yet I have to remember everything.

I'm sure a few other mommies can relate.

Maybe one day I'll get it all straight. Maybe.

In the meantime, I'm off to remember the things I've forgotten that I was supposed to remember so I wouldn't forget to remember them.

No comments: