Wow. The enormity of what we were embarking on hit us as we entered a huge parking garage where we were directed by parking attendants into a spot. Once out of the car, we were swallowed by a swarm of people. We thought it wise to follow the crowd, which led us up a two-story ramp, across a street that was blocked from traffic, and into a massive building. With people rushing all different directions, we weren't quite sure where to find the kids' classes.
But we found them. And I'm not kidding when I say we walked forever between the kids' wings - yes, I said wings. It was staggering to see how many staff people they had working and how many families they could accommodate.
We took the kids' ID stickers, rejoined the stream of people, and headed into the "sanctuary" where lively, upbeat [and really loud!] music greeted us.
Shock. That's all I can say. Something about the enormity of the - OK, let's just call it what it is - arena made me chuckle. In fact, I laughed until we found empty seats, which we found after climbing stairs and winding in and out of rows.
Once settled, I gathered myself and surveyed the crowd. People of all ages, races, nationalities, and incomes were worshipping together. Seeing a sea of people with their hands outstretched to heaven, praising God was pretty awesome. I could hardly enjoy singing along with them - I was in awe.
A few people, including Victoria, spoke, they "passed the plate," we sang songs, and then Joel got up to preach. Now, I certainly can't be critical of Joel, and I certainly can't claim to know him or his heart, so I'm only commenting on what I took away from the message.
It was a message of hope. Been through bad times? Don't worry! God isn't finished yet.
Great message. But it left me empty. We read one verse from the Bible. There was no life application. It all seemed like a big motivational speech. That's it.
I found this commentary a little while ago, and I think it succinctly explains the experience:
"Topping the number one spot is Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas with 47,000 people attending ... Services are held in a former basketball stadium, and televised broadcasts of the services are beamed around the world. His website provides a good idea of what life is like at Lakewood Church. If you have ever read his books or listened to his sermons, there is an amazing commonality to all them. One sermon pretty much sounds like another sermon. One article or book pretty much seems like something you have read before. And what is that message? The gist of all that seems to come forth from this church is about how we can succeed, how we can prosper, how we can feel good about ourselves, how we can have better relationships, how we can have inner peace, how we can make it in this world. It is pretty much a me-centred, feel-good message. With all due respect, the message of Lakewood Church is really not all that much different from a lot of other popular writers and self-help movements."
- excerpt from CultureWatch, Bill Muehlenberg's commentary
No mention of discipleship. No mention of what being godly looks like. No mention of sin. Only feel-good stuff.
There was even a point when Joel told a joke, but he messed up the first part. He laughed and said, "Don't worry. I know how to edit!" The crowd laughed. And he re-started the joke, for the TV audience's sake, of course. It was a little off-putting, as it seemed a bit fake and rehearsed.
I don't know.
It just wasn't for me.

2 comments:
Get away from that church! BOO for Joel Osteen!
I know what you mean about that "empty" feeling. Been through a similar experience here, before finding my Church home.
Post a Comment